150g good quality dark chocolate like Green and Black’s, broken up
200g caster sugar
150g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
125ml boiling water
125ml olive or rape seed oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
pinch of salt
a few small handfuls of boozy cherries
- Preheat the fan oven to 150C. (170C if not a fan oven.) Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Melt your broken up chocolate gently, either over a bowl of simmering water, or in a microwave. Set it to one side.
- Mix your cocoa with boiling water and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt with bicarb in a separate bowl. Again, set aside!
- Now beat eggs, sugar and oil In a mixer until it becomes a little lighter and fluffier. If you don’t have a mixer then this is an excellent five minute upper arm work-out.
- Tip the cocoa solution into the egg and oil mixture. Beat. Now tip flour in gradually into this mixture and beat again. Lastly, the melted chocolate and the cherries. Fold gently till all is combined.
- Tip the dark batter into a prepared tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes. Test with a skewer (it should come out clean).
- Let it cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with creme fraiche and more cherries.