Cally is a teacher with an exciting alternative approach to education. She has worked in a number of state and public schools in London, Bath, Wiltshire and Somerset. under her Country Gate brand she has written and delivered allotment-based family learning programmes for Health Authorities, developed hands -on activity days on the Romans, the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons for primary schools and designed innovative resources for the National Trust. She has written three education packs for The Abington Park Outdoor Classroom project and Our Flower Patch, a flexible outdoor educational programme, which was developed in partnership with flower farmer and former primary school teacher Sara Willman. As well as teaching English at Downside School Cally currently tutors GCSE and A level students in English Language, English Literature and Latin.
This blog tells the story of life at Country Gate both in the classroom, in the garden, the kitchen and out and about.
- plenty of information about the projects Cally is working on
- suggestions for outdoor learning activities,
- reviews of places to visit,
- suggestions for books to read
- and plenty of tried and tested projects, recipes and activities to keep young people engaged in learning which will last a lifetime
Search the archive to pick up a few tips, subscribe to the blog for regular updates and get in touch to tell me what you think.
Cally Smart , Country Gate, Bradford on Avon. Wiltshire.